Write a Discussion on the topic of GraffitiYou can choose one of the following topics:
1. Graffiti should be legalised.
2. Graffitists should be put in jail.
3. Local councils are losing the battle to prevent graffiti.
Your introduction must include your opinion and some supporting sentences, based on experience or facts. This should be interesting enough to invite the reader to read more!
Use the Discussion Plan to start writing more arguments to support your view. Don't forget to discuss the Arguments AGAINST your view and what you think of them.
State law regarding Graffiti
The Victorian Graffiti Prevention Act 2007 recognises graffiti as a crime and acknowledges its potential severity through tough penalties. The offence of marking graffiti attracts maximum fines of more than $29,000 and up to two years imprisonment.
Under this Act, it is illegal in Victoria to:
The Act outlines what councils can do to remove graffiti from private property and what police can do to investigate alleged graffiti offences.
- mark publicly visible graffiti on property without the owner’s consent
- sell spray paint to someone under the age of 18 unless they have proven it is needed for employment purposes
- possess a graffiti implement with the intention of marking unlawful graffiti
- possess, without lawful excuse, a spray paint can while on or adjacent to public transport property, or when trespassing
- advertise spray paint cans for sale, if the advertisement is likely and intended to incite or promote unlawful graffiti.
Strategies to prevent graffitiWhich graffiti prevention strategy has been used in the construction of this tram stop shelter on the corner of Johnston Street and Nicholson Street?
Dictation: Graffiti or Street Art?Here's a dictation to review our vocabulary and prepare to write a Discussion about Graffiti.
Listen to the text three times and check your writing. When you can't improve your writing any more, you can check your work by looking at the Transcript here.
Practice with PrepositionsHere's a review of work we did last term: maybe you have removed these Grammar worksheets from your folder to make space for new work. So, here is a slideshow for you to revise which preposition to use with particular verbs or adjectives.
You will need to click the Next button to check your answer and then go to the Next Slide.